Saturday, April 26, 2008

A letter from Hamilton Jarnigan to Francis Marion Thomas

DeKalb Co., AL



The following is the text of a letter that, until recently, was in the possession of Clussie Thomas of Jackson Co., AL. It is a letter to Francis Marion Thomas of DeKalb Co., AL from Hamilton Jarnigan of Jackson Co., AL. This letter was written by Hamilton Jarnigan practically on the eve of his departure from Alabama for good. He moved his family to Denton Co., TX.

Text of letter follows:



Dodsonville, Ala

Oct 9th, 1870



Respected Friend



I am happy to inform you that we are well—I would been better satisfied if you could have come seen me—it would be a source of great pleasure to have spent one night of social converse with you before I started. I have not forgotten you nay never will I forget the the tramps hardships and privations that we have taken together. I am sorry that we have been able to be together more for the past two years but as it is so it has to be.



Frank, I received my ________ from ________ No. 5 last may a year ago. The _______ were 50 cents per quarter or two dollars per year. It cost me tin dollars-being five years since I was raised.



Friend I enclose a letter to Ed Samply which please hand him and kick his ass for me for he has told me more lies than any man I ever met with. He has owed me $3.60 for two years and has told one hundred lies.



Friend when I get to my journey’s end I will write to you and give you all the news. I will have to close for want of time.



H Jarnigan (signed)



Please read the letter I enclose for Sampley and give it to him and write to me what the shitass says.







Dodsonville, Ala

Oct 9th 1870



Mr. Sampley

Tis since I saw you I have seen the County Superintendant he informs me that there will $81.80 ______ T5 R5 in 1868. This will _______ 66 percent of my claim if no other claim comes in. I have settled with my employers and allowed that _______________________________________ with you. Your account is $3.60 x .66 = $2.37. Deducting 66 percent leaves $4.25 due me. Please pay this to brother Franklin. I want it to finish paying for fixing fathers grave. Brother Franklin has authority to receive and receipt you for the same.



Yours

H. Jarnigan



The following letter was submitted by Jerry Haynes of Lake Charles, LA. (through shariben@aol.com ) He has a trunk which has been passed down through his family and contains items belonging to the William & Elizabeth Jarnigan family of Jackson Co. AL. Jerry's ancestors were the Skeltons. One of William & Elizabeth's daughters,

Amanda, married Geo. Skelton. Apparently Amanda Jarnigan Skelton died when her children were young, and two of her unmarried sisters, Mary A. & Sarah, took care of the Skelton children. This letter was written by William &

Elizabeth's son Hamilton Jarnigan, who had moved to Texas, to his sisters Mary & Sarah back home in AL.



Waketon Texas July 16th 1899



Beloved sisters and children,



We are happy to say we are all about and enjoying moderate health. We hope this may reach you all enjoying the same blessings We received a letter from you some weeks ago and we were very happy to hear from you all and to learn that you were alive and well. We past through the coldest winter I ever known in our country. We have had dry weather throughout the spring months too much so for corn and oats but will make enough corn to do the people(?) Oats made half crop, wheat is being thrashed and is average from 10 to 20 bushels per acre. There was a large amount sown cotton, crops were never finer at this season, gardens good, melons and potatoes very fine,

a great many melons are being hauled to market now and good price.



Money matters are close at present but plenty of provisions in the country. I have not heard anything from Uncle Horatio since last winder, he was alive and in moderate health then. Aunt Ellen is blind. Uncle has had Newton Leonards children ever since Newton and his wife died, which has been several years. They live in Garland Dallas Co. Texas. So you write to them at that office. I want to go and see them this summer if possible. Will will go over there soon. William is still at home but I don't know how much longer he will stay with us. I think he will go into some traveling business.



Our crop is tolerably good but some not as good as last year. Sisters I want you to write to us and let us know how you are getting, it is a great joy to us to get news from you all. Tell Bro Frank I will write him soon. I will close as Orlena intends writing some. Write soon direct to Waketon Denton Co. Tex.





Your affectionate brother, Hamilton







Dear Sisters,

Hamp has written all the news but I will write a few lines to tell you I have not forgotten you. I raised quite a flock of chickens this year, nearly two hundred I think. They are nearly all large enough to fry now. We have a chicken flea here that kills the little chicks sometimes, they get on their

heads and stick so tight that they can't be taken off except by putting grease on them.





We had a good garden for such a dry spring, now since it rained the grass has nearly taken it. We have very little fruit, a few peaches scattered over the orchard, we have had one peach pie. I will close hoping to hear from you soon. How many of the girls live with you? I recon Fannie is a grown woman now. Tell them to write to us.

No comments:

Thomas Family Genealogy

Marcus C. Thomas